– Is Paula there?
– Um, I don’t think I’ve seen her yet today…
– That’s okay. I can just….I can just talk to you.
– I think I…(voice tightens)…I think I need to put my dog down today.
– I had been talking to Paula about him…we’ve tried everything, we’ve had him for three years and I…I just can’t trust him anymore.
– He bit me today. Twice. When I was trying to put him in the car.
– Did he break skin?
– He drew blood, yes.
– I’m sorry.
– And he’s never had any bad experiences in the car or anything…no trauma. My husband and I have tried for three years to help him, we’ve done everything. And I’ve had bites and scratches and bruises.
– And I have a toddler and a new baby now.
– And….I don’t know why I am telling you all this…
– That’s okay.
– I was going to sign him up for class…I sent in a check. Can you tear it up? My name is___.
– Yes, no problem.
– Thank you.
– I’m sorry you had to make such a difficult decision, but it sounds to me like you made the right one.
– Thank you. Okay, bye.
I found her check and registration form in the mail that day. Her dog’s name? “Boo Kitty.”